GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264)

Easy Rider 05-01-2010 06:19 PM

Re: Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlus
and fiddling with the chain tension screws, Ive only managed to tighten the chain tension and move the entire rear wheel further back.

The obvious (smart assed) answer is: You fiddled the tension screws the wrong way.......which is right but not very helpful when you have a mental block as to how it works.

Hopefully after a short break, you will go back to it and see the obvious problem and move right along. If not, someone who still has a GZ will have to help. If I try from memory, I will probably confuse matters worse.

blaine 05-01-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:

and fiddling with the chain tension screws, Ive only managed to tighten the chain tension and move the entire rear wheel further back.

The obvious (smart assed) answer is: You fiddled the tension screws the wrong way.......which is right but not very helpful when you have a mental block as to how it works.

Hopefully after a short break, you will go back to it and see the obvious problem and move right along. If not, someone who still has a GZ will have to help. If I try from memory, I will probably confuse matters worse.

YOu need to turn adjusters to the "LEFT" to loosen the chain,turn "RIGHT" to tighten.

BillInGA 05-01-2010 07:24 PM

Once you have turned the chain tensioning bolts to the left (counter clockwise) you will have to manually move / push the rear wheel forward to gain slack in the chain.

Also, put the sprocket on the chain before trying fit it back on the shaft.

Water Warrior 2 05-01-2010 08:22 PM

Everyone is missing the key factor. After turning the adjusters counter clockwise the tire will need a good swift kick to move it forward. Then you will have lots of slack and can proceed to tighten the chain properly. Been there done that.

Atlus 05-01-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Everyone is missing the key factor. After turning the adjusters counter clockwise the tire will need a good swift kick to move it forward. Then you will have lots of slack and can proceed to tighten the chain properly. Been there done that.

Baha! That's what I was looking for! After a good kick forward my new sprocket is installed and ready to go. I look forward to testing it tomorrow. Haha when in doubt, kick it.

Thanks everybody for the responses, lord knows I learned everything about my bike thanks to these forums and community. :2tup:

blaine 05-01-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Baha! That's what I was looking for! After a good kick forward my new sprocket is installed and ready to go. I look forward to testing it tomorrow. Haha when in doubt, kick it.

Thanks everybody for the responses, lord knows I learned everything about my bike thanks to these forums and community. :2tup:

Good luck,hope you like the 16t sprocket!

:rawk: :rawk:

Atlus 05-02-2010 11:27 PM

Just took it out for a spin today, not only was it absolutely gorgeous out but my god did that sprocket make a difference! I tried it out on side streets, freeway, and hills and loved every bit of it. As a a pretty lite guy (around 140) it's a world of improvement. Thanks everybody for the help!

blaine 05-02-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Just took it out for a spin today, not only was it absolutely gorgeous out but my god did that sprocket make a difference! I tried it out on side streets, freeway, and hills and loved every bit of it. As a a pretty lite guy (around 140) it's a world of improvement. Thanks everybody for the help!

That was my impression to.I weight about the same as you do.Glad you like it!

Easy Rider 05-03-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

loved every bit of it.

Yea !!!
But then we KNEW you would. :biggrin:

You likely will find that it limits your top speed and hill climbing ability a bit but I found that to be an acceptable trade-off.

EddieSC 05-08-2010 01:15 AM

Awesome. I've been looking to get a bit more out of my bike (Totally stock at the moment) and I think this may be the first thing I try.