GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264)

tommygun 06-30-2009 03:14 PM

Re: Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket

Keith,
Keep in mind that the 16t + rolling hills = lots of people on your back! I switched back to the 15t due to the lack of power on hills (I have lots of hills in my commute).

DBD 07-01-2009 04:00 PM

I find that on most hills I want to be somewhere between 4th and 5th. It's too wound out in 4th and laboring in 5th. I was thinking that the 16T might make 4th just right for long uphills.

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommygun
Keith,
Keep in mind that the 16t + rolling hills = lots of people on your back! I switched back to the 15t due to the lack of power on hills (I have lots of hills in my commute).

Easy Rider 07-01-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBD
I find that on most hills I want to be somewhere between 4th and 5th. It's too wound out in 4th and laboring in 5th. I was thinking that the 16T might make 4th just right for long uphills.

That's exactly what I thought when I had a 16T.....including a round trip through the Smokies.
I didn't ride it stock long enough to have a good feel for what it did on hills......'cause we don't have many around these parts. :)

Part of the problem, I believe, is people who are used to cages that never go over 3K RPM.....and are afraid of winding the little 250 out a bit.

gripped 08-22-2009 02:24 AM

just put the 16tooth on the tu250x. it was an easy process, i didn't need to put it on stands either. took about 30 minutes. rode about 30+ miles around the city on it tonight including 80mph on I-5 - with wifey as passenger. no problems whatsoever.

what a great difference. i believe that the swap makes the bike a much more "capable" bike and puts a broader range on the gears overall. less shifting down the road and a much more tolerable rpm at all speeds. I (and my wife) are not heavy ppl by any means...total weight being around 245lbs. max recommended weight for the tu is 355.

awesome. :rawk:

Water Warrior 2 08-22-2009 08:30 AM

Interesting results. Usually the GZ will sacrifice a little speed for lesser RPM with the sprocket change. Maybe the FI makes a difference.

blaine 02-12-2010 11:11 PM

Got my sproket from dealer in 3 days

alantf 02-13-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaine
Got my sproket from dealer in 3 days

Wish I could get parts that quickly. My speedo cable snapped a month ago, so I ordered one straight away, from the local bike shop. It arrived last thursday! :cry:

primal 03-13-2010 09:28 PM

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread already, but you should NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen a nut! Use a breaker bar, or even a large crescent wrench (which is what I used to change my Marauder's front sprocket), but NEVER a precision instrument like a torque wrench!

Atlus 03-23-2010 08:26 PM

Hey guys, after reading this tutorial I was inspired to try this mod.

Unfortunately I'm stuck! I can't seem to get the 16 tooth sprocket properly hooked into the chain to mount. I don't know if bike bandit sent me the wrong piece or if I'm doing something wrong, but no matter how much I've massaged the chain and sprocket I cant get it back onto the bike.

I noticed that the teeth on the new sprocket don't quite seem deep enough, as the chain isn't fitting/gripping fully. Is that to be expected or do I have a bad part? Thanks in advance!!

JWR 03-23-2010 08:45 PM

I loosen the back adjusters and axle nut.
Then I push the chain down with my foot, to get the back tire up as far as I can.
Pull off the 15t and put the 16t in as high as it will go on the chain.
This should give you enough slack at the bottom of the chain to pull with the sprocket enough to slip it on the the splines.

The teeth should look the same as the old sprocket.

Hope this helps.