GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264)

adrianinflorida 04-06-2009 06:56 PM

Re: Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket

Here you go:

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/17866 ... 7&t=1&td=1

David Bo 04-06-2009 07:47 PM

I bought one and hated it... Want me to send it to you?

04-06-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Bo
I bought one and hated it... Want me to send it to you?

Can you expand a bit on why you hated it? You're one of the few I've heard say this. I'm struggling with whether or not to do this mod - have heard plenty from those who like it and would love to hear your side.

Thanks,

Keith

Quimrider 04-07-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmkindred
I'm struggling with whether or not to do this mod - have heard plenty from those who like it and would love to hear your side.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith It spreads the gears out a little which many like for in town driving. The negative side of the 16 t sprocket is you sacrifice 5-10 mph off your top speed because the engine runs out of power before it can wind up. If you do much driving at 60+mph you might not like it. Then again if you do much 60+ you might be happier with a different bike. It's only 15-20 bucks and a half hour to install. Try it see if you like it.

David Bo 04-07-2009 07:43 AM

Keith, the reason I did not like the 16 tooth sprocket over the 15 tooth had to do with the lack of that black rubber ring. I looked everywhere to see if anyone supplied the 16 tooth sprocket with that ring but nobody does. Without that ring, I found my bike to be noisy at lower speeds. The rubber acts as a silencer when the chain comes in contact with the teeth of the front sprocket. It wasn't "terrible" but you could definitely hear it (click-click-click-click-click). You also can feel the engine working a little bit harder to get you going initally. You might need to make sure your throttle is turned just a bit more when you release the clutch. I had mine on for about a week and then I finally decided that (for me) the 15 tooth was better. I did the switch-back and I now use the 16 tooth sprocket as a paper weight on my desk. You see, not all was lost! If anyone wants it, give me your address... It only weighs about a pound, I can mail it to you. - David Bo

Easy Rider 04-07-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

It wasn't "terrible" but you could definitely hear it (click-click-click-click-click).

Well that's a new one. You must have REALLY good ears if you can hear that over the sound of the engine. :)

To each his own, I guess.
Perception is an interesting thing.

FWIW, that rubber ring is not there as a sound buffer but to minimize the jerk when the chain goes from loose to tight (and vice-versa) .......in deceleration and shifting mostly. There is another rubber piece inside the rear hub that also helps.

Being able to hear the chain go around the sprocket(s) is most often a sign of improper slack or not enough lube or both.

Last but not least, the "pulling harder to start out" kind of IS the whole point. Being able to complete a turn from a stop without shifting out of 1st in the middle is nice. The higher gearing makes better use of the low end torque that is inherent with a thumper. But, to be fair, a lot of that benefit is psychological too. If it doesn't bother you to have the engine screaming before you shift, then there isn't much point to even try the 16T. It did bother me.......and a lot of other folks too apparently.

Nobody here has ever claimed (I think) that the 16T is for everybody. In addition to the "extra noise" mentioned above, if your bike often carries a heavy load, spends a lot of time on Interstates (above 60 mph) or there are a lot of hills or high winds where you ride most, then it is probably NOT for you. I guess now we can add sensitive ears to the list! :biggrin:

EDIT: Just had another thought. How old was your chain when you tried the new sprocket? The noise you heard can also be a sign of a "wear mismatch" between the sprocket and chain. In this case, it could be a worn (stretched) chain with a new sprocket. Just a thought.

David Bo 04-07-2009 02:06 PM

The chain was and still is the original one. I have a 2001 model with about 3000 miles on it. I looked very closely to the rubber portion of the front sprocket and could see where the wider (outside) parts of the chain contacts it. I was under the impression that it was put there for some sound dampening benefits. -David Bo

Easy Rider 04-07-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

The chain was and still is the original one. I have a 2001 model with about 3000 miles on it.

I'd be getting a little nervous with a chain that is ~ 8 years old but .........

If the sound went away with the old sprocket back on
AND
Your rear axle is not near the back of the adjustment marks
AND
You don't notice any jerkiness or popping from the chain when the rear is turned slowly
AND
You don't notice any RED goop around the rollers (I think the "sealed" lube is red)
THEN you probably are OK on the chain and sprockets for a while yet.
It should be good for at least 10K if it was properly maintained. If it was neglected, then who knows.

No doubt that the new sprocket fit slightly different some how but I quite assure you that the rubber core on the front sprocket is NOT there to supress chain noise.

DBD 06-30-2009 09:47 AM

David Bo, if you still have the 16T sprocket, and are willing to send it, I'd like to give it a try.

Dan

tommygun 06-30-2009 03:10 PM

I had a similar noise with my chain and it is just over a year old. A little WD-40 to clean it up and then grease and noise is gone.